Have a Voice in Education
If you have an interest in public education, the Halifax Regional School Board has an interest in you.
The Governing Board holds a Regular Board Meeting on the fourth Wednesday of each month. The agenda for the Regular Board Meeting is posted on the HRSB website one week prior to the meeting.
From time to time, the Board may hold either a Special Board Meeting or an Emergency Board Meeting. These meetings are called at the discretion of the Board. For more information on the requirements for calling such a meeting, please view the Board Bylaws.
All meetings are open to the public. Notwithstanding the Board's commitment to transparency, a meeting or part of a meeting may be held in private for the purpose of considering issues involving individual students, personnel matters or other confidential information as determined by a majority Board Members.
All meetings, unless otherwise advertised, are held in the board chambers at 33 Spectacle Lake Drive in Dartmouth beginning at 6 p.m.
Public Presentations on Matters of Education Interest
Any interested person or organization may apply to make a presentation to the Board under the Regular Board Meeting agenda item, Public Presentation on Matters of Education Interest.
- Applications to present must be received by the Corporate Secretary seven (7) working days in advance of the Regular Board Meeting.
- The Chair, in consultation with the Superintendent, must approve a request to make a public presentation at the regular board meeting or may refer the presentation to a special board meeting, a committee meeting, or the Superintendent.
- A person, group or organization may speak on any matter, except the following: Labour negotiations, legal or potentially legal matters, personnel matters, student discipline matters and solicitations.
- A copy of written presentations or an outline of verbal presentations must be submitted to the Chair or Corporate Secretary by noon on the Monday prior to the regular board meeting.
- Normally, each public presentation will be limited to 15 minutes - the Chair may extend the time limit under unique circumstances.
- Normally, only two public presentations will be scheduled for a regular board meeting.
- Groups or organizations may designate no more than two (2) individuals to speak.
- Waiver of Notice: Notwithstanding the foregoing, an application to present may be received at the regular board meeting, if two-thirds (2/3) of the board members present determine that the presentation addresses an issue of a serious or urgent nature.
For further information please contact:
Selena Henderson, Corporate Secretary
Phone: (902) 464-2000 ext. 2324
For the latest agenda, click here.
For highlights of the most recent meeting, click here.